Sunday, July 10, 2011

Engaging in Guided Inquiry

I conducted the experiment on marbles and surface area. The design of the experiment was to roll marbles of different sizes over three different surfaces and record the distances on a table.  The surfaces that the marbles were rolled over included hardwood, concrete and carpeting. The marbles were rolled from the same starting point and then measured with a ruler to determine the farthest distance. The findings were recorded and analyzed.
 My initial hypothesis was that the heavier marble would travel the shortest distance over all surfaces. I was surprised to see that the heavier marble traveled further over the rougher surface areas.  I concluded that the larger mass made it easier to roll over a surface that was more rough.
The experiment went well overall. It was uncomplicated, but if I were to modify it in any way I would include an instrument that maybe provided the same force for each roll.   I also had an issue with my floors not being even and having balls roll in opposite directions.
I could very easily provide this very lab with my students as an introduction to a unit on motion. This simple experiment is a gateway for many other skills. I would ask the students why is knowing about motion important. I would make them explain themselves upon completion of the lesson. I would also set up a lab with different weighted marbles and surfaces. Maybe have the students compete in s motion competition.
I would like my students to know how and why objects move at different rates and be able to explain the concepts. I would like this knowledge to spark the interests in design or engineering. The ability to test and trial is the basis of investigation and innovation. I believe that I met this goal.
   

1 comment:

  1. Moi,

    The activity sounds like fun!!!! I think this is also a great opportunity to engage the students into thinking about WHY the marbles slowed down. Enter discussions about friction. Which surface generates the most friction. Aha....something else to discover!!!!

    Look forward to reading more posts. :)

    ReplyDelete