Sunday, May 15, 2011

Reflection of STEM Strategies Week 2

Reflection 1: Planning a lesson using STEM strategies.

The usage of the 5 E's strategies were really helpful. The planning process was tedious to say the least. It made me look deeper into my teaching, planning, and practices. I found myself organizing the material differently. Throughout the planning I saw a need for the inquiry part of the lesson to be first. This is different than the usual way I would plan and teach. I like having the students conduct their experiments blindly so to speak. I believe that the idea of not knowing what will occur really engages the students in the activity. I wanted to incorporate more engaging material for the students as well as prepare them to meet the standards and the objectives that needed to be met. 
If I were to implement this lesson I would allow the students to create the rubric for the assessment process. I realized that the students can and should be a major component of their own learning experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Concentrating on the 5 E's was a very long process, but one that really helped me look into how I plan lessons. I don't think I'll be using this strategy for every lesson I teach, but I will definitely keep it in mind when trying to introduce a concept through hands-on activities. I liked the idea of having students conduct experiments "blindly." That is something I never thought about. Usually I teach about a certain concept, then use the lab to enhance the knowledge they've gained. Having the students start with the lab is something that I will have to try. I'm sure the students will be more engaged not knowing exactly what will take place. Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...It was very time consuming I think the point was to really think about all of the aspects of the lesson and preparing a leson that is not based on reading material and answering questions.

    ReplyDelete